View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
Over the years I have taken my kids to a great barge in Paugus. Tall people like myself can stand on the shallowest corner while the other end is in about 15' of water.

Lots of fish , usually including several fairly large bass. Visibility is good unless there is heavy boat traffic. It's in a fairly quiet spot, so it's safe to dive there.

Location? Coming from the Channel, go past the Pickerell Cove culvert (on the right side of the Bay) and look for a white birch tree extending over the water- maybe three or four hundred yards further up. Go real slow along the shoreline and you can see it below the surface. I have not been there in a year or so, but I hope the white birch is still there.

Let me know if you go there. I love that spot and have been going there for maybe 45 years.

Peter
Just tried this one this afternoon with some friends. What a great experience...I was so excited I felt like a kid on Christmas. Much of the ship is still intact (at least the hull) and I was able to swim right inside the hull to get a close up view. The only trouble I had was with the birch trees, as there were about a dozen of them along the shoreline that hung over the water. Great experience, but visibility was terrible (there wasn't any sun and I don't believe Paugus has the greatest visibility to begin with).

I also very much enjoy snorkeling on the Belknap as well. Good wreck with lot's of good history
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote