View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
JayDV

Default bedrock chess

Without knowing what they were called, we just assumed it to be bedrock pushed up by glaciers. There are sheets of this exposed rock between 10 and 30 feet long both above highwater mark and below. The striations (is this correct usage?) rock are incredible. As kids, my sister and I used to pretend to play giant chess underwater. Obviously on a shortened "chessboard" and no color squares, we would place a rock in the squares and pretend to play chess. Well it was 4 ft under water so diving for rocks and then diving to place them made the game very short due to exhaustion, but those raised rock "veins" are so kewl. We even put colored rocks on squares that we thought were out of normal swim/wading paths to see if they were there the next year.

Another story was our ladder fell off the side of the boat and sunk in about 20 ft of water landing somewhere in or on a section of long sheets of this bedrock. Couldn't find it anywhere. Wouldn't you know it? about 8 yrs later on an unusualy calm Broads morning in a canoe I looked over and there it was!! Being 16 yrs then, there was no problem diving down and getting it. I knew then that the Lake will give up things that were lost if you believe.

My "pet name" for these memories is Sensory Recollection Stimulator memories. The ones that are so vivid you can see, smell, hear, touch and taste the experience again and again. These can be so real it seems to take me back physically to that time and place. The sound of the boat motor is so distinct you can pick it out after 11 months of not hearing it. The smell of island sand is different than mainland sand. Even the color of the water is so distinct I have picked it out as I channel surf past ESPN channels showing the fishing tournaments on Winni. That is some more of the magic the Lake has.
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote