View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Belmont Resident

Default really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
That sounds like a highly unlikely scenario. I think your hunter wanted to start an urban legend of his own. Behavior of coyotes doesn't match this type of scenario. I should add that I am a hunter.
Well from what I understand bear bait makes for a great meal and it would stand to reason that two feeding animals might want to protect their meal.
Given coyotes growing unpredictability in their interaction with humans and other animals, mainly our pets as a food source, I find it hard that someone who supposedly calls themselves a hunter would discredit this from happening.
Given this hunter had absolutely no reason to make up a story about what just had happened, maybe you don’t spend enough time in the woods to have gathered enough information to base your disagreement on.
Although I do not hunt myself, I do watch a lot of educational programs on TV. Many of these programs are focusing on what effect urban sprawl is having on animal behavior and how climate change is causing many animals to change as well.
To say that this could not happen pretty shows that you might be somewhat ignorant to wildlife behavior. Calling yourself a hunter and understanding animal behavior are two different things.
After all there are many who call themselves hunters who drive around the backwoods of NH and ME looking for something to shoot at, AKA heater hunters. Unless your trudging through the woods stalking your prey or setting a tree stand in a likely spot that you have scoped out your not really a hunter.
I found it odd that a coyote would drag a deer under a house because they are not known to come around where human scent is unless they are looking for food. To hide a carcass under a house is most unusual for a coyote, but being it was an empty camp maybe not.