View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #25
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
...The Cobalts mentioned a fiberglass not aluminum, yet they go to the bottom leaving passengers in much more danger than my aluminum skiff.The real danger here is boats with NO FLOTATION! Why don't you target them instead of singing the praises of Whaler and fiberglass?
Because that is the title of this thread? I am only discussing one particular type of boat here. This thread was created for the purpose of pointing out positives and negatives associated with small craft choices (Secondary Boats For Islanders). It was also created in hopes to clear up myths regarding the "unsinkable" term thrown about by a few members and what it actually means to a boater in troubled waters during colder seasons. The thread was also born out of frustration from comments such as this:

"You should explain to the thousands of people that use aluminum boats on the lake, from ice out to ice in, what danger we are in. Just so we understand, if a boat hull is fiberglass it's safe in October, but if the hull is aluminum it's a deathtrap."

This was a generalization deduced from a debate about constructive information I was originally trying to provide based on real experience. Unfortunately a comment like that diminishes the severity of a potential real danger. So I decided to post what I believe to be a fairly clear and well thought out post regarding one particular class of boats.

If you want to create a thread about 20 foot + craft and the dangers of sinking please feel free to do so.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote