View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #56
Loony Singer

Default Many years, many memories

I first came to know the Big Lake as a young teen from Pennsylvania, spending two seasons at the late, lamented Camp DeWitt in Wolfeboro. What a special time that was, learning how to sail, canoe, and play tennis...all activities that were important in my life for years to come.

Then, it was 12 years of growing up, going to college, and moving to Boston to start my career...a busy part of life, with no time for the Lake. But as fate would have it, in 1973 I met and fell in love with a girl at work...whose parents had owned a camp in Moultonboro for many years. So as my relationship with my spouse-to-be blossomed, she started taking me up there for weekends.

I don't know exactly when the old family camp was built, but my wife's grandparents were the ones who bought the property, and my father-in-law helped build the cabin as a young man, perhaps 70-odd years ago.

There followed many great summers there with our growing family. Our two boys spent every summer at the old house, swimming, catching frogs, playing games, and relaxing with their 6 cousins. There are probably enough stories from those yaars to fill a book.

Eventually, my spouse and I started thinking about retirement. We reluctantly concluded that we couldn't retire to the old place. So we set about finding a spot of our own. We were lucky enough to come across a quiet spot on Moultonboro Neck, and we had a new home built on it six years ago.

Some of you might our modern new place with modern amenities. But to us, it's a place that we can live in comfortably as we get older, and one that isn't constantly threatening to fall down around our ears. We're looking forward to creating a new generation of Lake memories there, with our sons and their families as they come along.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote