View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #16
Grant

Default Otters and Minks and Bass, Oh My!

Pardon the exceedingly lame Wizard of Oz treatment...

We always have an abundance of the mink running along the shore. But they certainly aren't large. Donnamatrix is right -- probably an otter. Wish I could see one. Actually, there might be one along our shore. Each spring when I open the boathouse, there's an abundance of scat on the deck inside -- made up largely of fish scales and bones. Whatever the creature is that makes the boathouse "home" each winter/spring, it likes to poop in the same spots (and the stuff is TOUGH to remove) and eats a lot of fish. Doubt it's the mink, but it could be.

SAMIAM -- The spawning bass fall prey to the fisherman because they will bite ANYTHING that intrudes on their nesting space. Feeding the guarding male might prevent it from leaving the nest to eat, but it will surely hit anything that approaches the nest. Seems the spawn was later this year because of relatively lower temps. Hope they aren't taking too many bass off the beds...

Last edited by Grant; 06-24-2005 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote