View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
Mee-n-Mac

Question Big drum for ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
Two things came to mind at these pictures -- the first I'd ever seen of the burned Old Mount:

1939 was the year of a really bad hurricane that passed through Winnipesaukee. Knocked down a lot of trees. How did the Old Mount "weather" that?

Did the Mount have a coal- or wood-fired boiler? (Asking only because there's that big drum on the pier next to it -- Was that for diesel fuel?)
1'st - kudos to SCG and RG, these are also the first pics of the burned old Mt that I've seen.

2'nd - WRT to the big drum and the old Mt's fuel. I couldn't find anything about what she used for fuel, though oil wouldn't be out of the question (her replacement was an oil burner). I couldn't find out whom B&M contracted to build her. For that matter it's not a sure thing that the old Mt even used the big drum, perhaps it was for other ships ? I'll add some fuel to the fire so to speak and ask if the drum might have been used for water storage. Steamers use up water and while I suspect they could draw water from the lake whilst underway I wonder if that's true when sitting at dock. Could it be that the drum stored water for those that couldn't drink from the lake ? Or for a quickie fill-up ?? I wonder because I might suspect the fire was hot enough to ignite oil vapors exitting the top pipe (seen in the pics), thus destroying the drum ?

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 12-22-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote