Thread: Oil Tank Gauge?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
jmen24

I think what he means by enclosed is that the tank is actually on the interior of the home, but is essentually built in. It is typically stud construction around the tank and then it is insulated and sheetrocked over with nothing more than a small access door to view the level and usually a second to replace the filter at the base of the wall. In order to remove the enclosure you would have to demo the wall enclosing the tank (about a $600 dollar inspection all said and done).
This is a common detail found in higher end homes with oil heat that have full finished basements, usually comes hand in hand with very small utility rooms.

Advice on the service record is a good one. Mine has been maintained very well over the years by the previous owner and myself, 56 and counting actually, boiler (new burner, 15 years ago), water storage tank and oil tank all original to the house. The glass lined pressure tank took a ride to the dump two years ago when I had to replace the interior well pump, needed a tank that could safely handle a larger hold of water under higher pressure, was not putting money on that old barrel being up to the job.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote