Thread: Ice In
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 08:44 AM   #152
ishoot308

Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default Ice In / Ice Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I'm with you on this one. I see no problem with "ice-in" being when the lake is completely iced over. Of course there will always be a spot, such as the Weirs channel, that typically never freezes but it is what it is.

Every year I say the same thing, ice-out to me personally is when I can pick my boat up in the Weirs channel, access Glendale, Gilford Yacht Club and Mark/Bear Island. Those are my ports.
I agree! I like it the way it is...Ice in is usually telling islanders it won't be long before you can walk out to your camps to check on things. It's also telling ice fishermen and other outdoor sports enthusiast won't be long before you can enjoy the hard water! Of course for safety reasons, you always check the ice yourself before venturing out! Yes Emerson sometimes has it wrong but for the most part he does a great job and does not charge for his services and like Steve said above, it's all in fun and tradition.

Ice out is when the mount can safely make her ports and the rest of the lake is usually ice free. I like that! I can usually easily make it to my camp on Welch by boat at least a week before official ice out is declared...I like that too!!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 02-21-2024 at 09:42 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: