Thread: Mystery Leak
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
yanked it on Friday evening, let drain, got underneath it, found most of the rivets dripping, also pulled the floor and found that someone used 2inch plant foam (like the stuff that you poke the stems in and retains water) was used as ballast foam. Must have removed water wait of close to 60lbs, and I ended up replacing that with 2 inch closed cell water and mold resistant foam insulation found at any home depot type stores. coated all exposed rivets from the inside and even the ones under the fishing decks, went underneath and did the same thing. Let sit for over 24 hours launch it fished for 4 hours, put it on the mooring, waited over 9 hours......still taking in water but only pumped for about 20 seconds.

used capt. tolleys from the top, and then also lifelock on the bottom

Think I will pull it and have someone weld the rivets, would that be a problem? I would not think so
"Great-Stuff", Home Depot's expanding foam (from a can) isn't the best choice for marine applications, as it absorbs standing water—but used where it mostly stays dry—it should be OK. The "good" stuff comes as a two-part mix, and it is even messier to work with in tight quarters.

"Welding" (heliarcing) requires an extremely clean surface. Now that the rivets have goo on them, your best choice now is to hammer each rivet—using a second hammer to back up each rivet—this requires two persons. Both will find ear protection a must.

It still won't be leak-free, but you'll have brought the rivets into closer tolerances than before, and it won't have cost a lot of money.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote