Thread: GPS vs. Compass
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #5
jeffk

I'm sure that many might disagree with me but as far as I am concerned, there is no backup to a GPS except for another GPS. I just downloaded the Navionics map to my Samsung Note and will make sure I take it with me when boating as backup as well as for mechanical distress calls. I never get in the boat without my GPS running.

Why? Because all the other methods are estimates and are subject to error, even visual navigation. I almost went into the Witches one time because I misunderstood where I was. I'm still not sure how I got mixed up up I did. It was a beautiful day and I could see everything perfectly. I did realize at the last minute that something was out of whack, slowed to a crawl and eased up to a marker. When I checked the number I realized how mixed up I was. OK, if I was really paying attention to my chart and compass I probably wouldn't have got mixed up to begin with but I didn't and I believe that most people cruising around on a sunny day are not focused on their chart and compass either. They have a sense of where they are and 99% of the time they are right. But the GPS is right whether you pay meticulous attention or not.

GPS places you exactly on a map with references to everything nearby. There can be no mistakes based on confused thinking or lack of visibility. The more you use it the easier it becomes to use the map and other features. You can make a track going out during the day and follow it back at night or save it for another night. You can even get tracks from other people or enter in waypoints.

Compass and chart are old standbys but it takes some practice to get good at it. Who really practices using compass and charts on a regular basis? If you are not very practiced, what will the result be? Even if you are accomplished, it is an approximation only. It might be fine out in the ocean but in this lake, 50 ft off can mean you are on the rocks instead on in clear water.

Frankly, it I were out on a dark night or in fog and my GPS and phone backup was not working I would be most likely to find a place to tie up and call a friend for a ride home.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links