View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts
Default It's all about productivity

The basic difference between the profitable UPS and the bankrupt USPS is worker productivity and waste.

Just watch a UPS driver: Always hustling and doing about twice as much work as a USPS worker every day.

There are many examples of waste in the Post Office:

When I was growing up the mailman (on foot) in our neighborhood for over 20 years spent 3-4 hours a day hanging around at a local gas station. I asked him what time he would get through every day if he kept moving along and he thought he could finish his route by noon. As it was he was getting 3-4 hours of overtime every week.

Two postal workers from Peabody Ma were fired after they were arrested for sitting in a jeep smoking dope in the middle of the day. They had been repeatedly observed before they were arrested. They got their jobs back.

I know of a postal worker who has been out on disability for over ten years because of narcolepsy. Strange, I thought sleeeping on the job was a qualification for them.

Many postal workers earn $50,000 to $80,000 per year. That is a pretty good salary for a job with little or no qualification or education requirements.

While it is sad that some of the offices are closing, the Post Office is a victim of it's own failures and lack of productivity of it's employees.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote