View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady View Post
Late last winter I looked out of our lakeside windows and watched a lone coyote trotting along on the ice. Where he came from, I don't know but I watched as he made his way over to Sleepers Island. He went up onto the island at the Alton end. So you might have at least one coyote out there.

Personally, I would never use a baseball bat on a coyote. If he got that close, he would definitely be sick (rabies?) and I'm not about to go through those nasty shots. A trusty .38 special in the pocket (properly permitted, of course) would work for me. The noise alone would probably scare it off (and half of the residents as well).
We had a hunter set up on our property for bear a couple of years ago. One afternoon he was checking on his bait and saw 2 coyotes guarding it. When he approached instead of running they attacked him. He shot one and the other went into the brush only to come out on the opposite side and attack him. He didn’t kill either but got a bullet into both.
So don’t assume a threat or a gunshot will scare them off.
These animals seem to becoming more aggressive and more and more populated in the NE area.