View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #279
TheNoonans

Default Skydive Laconia

Today's update:

I had recently sent an email to the Mayor of Laconia, also the chair of the airport authority and asked two questions:

1) As the leader of another community that could potentially be affected by the Gilford Selectmen's decision not to allow us to educate them, do you feel their actions were appropriate?

I just wanted his opinion as the Mayor. I wanted to know where he stood on that course of action.

I got back a standard: It's their town, their issue, type answer. The answer was entirely expected, I just went out on a limb to see if maybe the Mayor might actually voice his personal opinion on how the GS chose to handle the situation.

And the primary reason for my email:

2) I asked him, as Chair of the LAA, how many members of the LAA actually fly airplanes? I asked how many members of the board are current private or commercial pilots. A fair question I thought. This group that is tasked with deciding the fate of an aeronautical business proposal, how many of them even know how to fly?

Simple question I thought.

I was surprised to get a response reminding me that the LAA sent me a letter in 2008 informing me they were not legally obligated to provide me any information. Back then I asked the LAA to provide me the aeronautical safety assessment/training backgrounds of their "Safety Committee", the stall tactic group that the LAA created amongsts its members that was going to be responsible for making a recommendation to the LAA as a whole, in lieu of going to the FAA at that time as required.

Back then we wagered a bet that no one on the LAA, let alone their "Safety Committee" had any background or training in aeronautical safety inspection analysis. So, we asked them to validate their experience to do the job they gave themselves to do (instead of going to the FAA). And they told us they didn't legally have to tell us that........

Why wouldn't you want to share that information? Is that the "transparent" process the airport manager is quoted in the paper as saying the LAA has been affording us?

Anyways, back on track (sorry for the tangent.....), all I asked the Chair of the LAA to provide me this time was to tell me whether or not the members of the LAA are aviators? Current private or commercial pilots?

The response I got was a reminder of the letter I got in 2008.......and an offer to resend me the letter........odd huh?

So, I replied again saying I wasn't asking for the aeronautical safety backgrounds of the LAA (there are none) I just wanted to know if they can fly an airplane.

What do you think? Is that information your airport authority should be willing to share with the community they serve, or should they be allowed to hide behind their appointed positions and keep us and you in the dark about their background and abilities (or lack there of) to perform the tasks they are appointed to do?

You can email the LAA and ask yourself at:
laa@metrocast.net
or the Mayor directly (also the Chair of the LAA) at:
citycouncil@city.state.nh.us

Blue skies to all and to all a good flight,
Tom
TheNoonans is offline   Reply With Quote