View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Regarding the motor oil, try to find out from the previous owner what kind of oil (synthetic or non-synthetic) he used. It is not a good idea to mix different types of oils, so try to use what he used. Doesn't have to be the same brand.
To be clear for the original poster, Chip is talking about 2-stroke injection oil, not motor oil. You would not want to put traditional motor oil in a 2-stroke injection tank. The average snowmobiler, unless the motor is really tweaked, runs a standard injection oil, nothing special. Use Ski-Doo oil and make sure it is the proper formula. In many newer machine, they have revised the oil composition for better performance and emissions. Arctic Car for instance has APV oil (at least they did 3 years ago ), which is a clean burning oil for use in newer exhaust power valve based engines. This may or may not be good in older machine applications, I honestly don't know as I got out of riding a few years ago. I always ran the OEM recommended oil and never had issues in any machines.

I have always found older Ski-Doo's to be a bit finicky and you want to make sure that it is properly tuned. Ski-Doo has a history of tuning their machines pretty well out of the box to to the point that if the settings get a bit out of the norm it is easy to blow a motor. It always seemed that the ski-doo's were the most likely to break down during my many years of riding and being a club president.

My last sled was a Rev X package 800 with mods though, and I really loved it!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote