View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
@thelake

Default Commercial free music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Is the Sirius service available around most parts of the lake? I currently have a trial that came with our car and am loving it except that I lose reception in a few spots. I am very tempted to buy subscription but have concerns about reception because there are a few spots here in MA that I lose the connection, including one spot right around the corner from our house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
I have three XM house radios. One XM receiver. I can move receiver from room to room. Works fine for me. If you search you can find less expensive subscriptions. I pay mine by postal mail invoice then check. No credit cards.

I also have XM in my truck factory XM radio - different bill. Works fine up here both in home and vehicle. But yes, there are a few dead spots.
SiriusXM is available everywhere in the lower 48. Like Songkrai mentions, there will be some dead spots when you're driving, but they're usually short, just a second or two. Any time you drive under a bridge, heavy tree cover or anytime that little antenna on your car doesn't have a line of sight with the satellites, you'll hear light static to silence for a few seconds. I feel that momentary loss of signal is a very small price to pay for the great variety of commercial free music channels, talk, sports, comedy and more. There's something for everyone! (in urban areas, there are terrestrial repeaters that replace the need for line of sight, acting much like an FM signal)

At home, it's a different story. Place an antenna pretty much anywhere outside (there are mounting suggestions) and you're locked in to a great signal. It's not hard, there are lots of antenna options: under the window/under the screen. Connect to your stereo receiver and play in your living room or to your 2nd speaker zone. Add a (legal) FM transmitter and broadcast to every room in your house.
( http://wholehousefmtransmitter.com/ available for less everywhere.)

At home, use an internet only radio, like the TTR1
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXMT...usXM-TTR1.html
Listen online with your home computer, or dock your smartphone or iPod touch to a speaker system and listen online with the SXM app.
Or step up multi-zone @ home with a sonos system. I do all of the above (except Sonos), but have heard nothing but good things about Sonos and plan to buy it soon.

Sirius doesn't make a player for my particular Blackberry, so I occasionally enjoy Pandora (and it's available on my blu-ray players, but doesn't get used often), but when available I prefer SiriusXM online. Sometimes I want to hear DJ chatter, and SXM can give me that. Sometimes I just want the music, and there are channels for that, too. With Pandora, it's just music.
So clearly, I'm recommending you continue it, especially if you enjoy it now.
You'll never listen to a commercial again!
@thelake is offline   Reply With Quote