View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #23
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
I think a Meredith Bay Cam would be great. I think Rusty Mclear would be the one to talk to about that. See if he could put one up at Bay Point. The Mount cam is another neat idea, not sure how you would do it logistically, wouldn't it be costly? How would you send signal? By satellite?
This whole topic is deja vu for me. Several years ago I met with Rusty's company (Hampshire Hospitality Holdings) about a number of related things, including a CAM for the Mount and one for Church Landing, which was in early construction at the time. We concluded that for a number of reasons the Mount CAM would not be practical. Keeping a land based camera running year after year is hard enough without all the variables involved in a moving camera. Of course anything is possible for a price but I think that first they should invest in a few land based cameras at their Meredith hotels.

When we discussed the camera at the Church Landing construction site there was not much enthusiasm for the project. The placement of the camera, the needed power and Internet connection were a problem and it never got beyond that.

After the meeting they had some turnover and the things we discussed never came to be. They also used to be an advertiser on this site but discontinued that as well. They were the exclusive sponsor of the WeirsCAM (very appropriate I thought) and got an extremely high click-through rate on their ads. The areas largest and nicest hotels teamed with the largest and most popular web site seemed a natural fit. Unfortunately someone at HHH didn't see it that way. Maybe they figured that they get enough free advertisement anyway on the site.

Several years have passed and they may be now willing to put up a CAM or two. With high-speed Internet (wired and wireless) throughout their hotels it would now be easy to set up network cameras in several interesting locations.

If Rusty is reading this, I am still willing to help set up and even manage the CAMs if he is interested.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote