View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Weekend Pundit

Angry Another Cap'n Bonehead stunt

I was out for a quick one hour jaunt on the lake with my son yesterday afternoon. The weather was great and the boat traffic was minimal. All in all, it was a great time for boating.

We'd finished our run out and back and were at headway speed as we enetred Glendale. There were three other boats near us - two power boats and a sailboat - and we were all within 100 feet of each other or less. The sailboat was outbound and had just raised sail, the other two boats were inbound just like me.

A Bayliner piloted by a Cap'n Bonehead coming from the direction of Welch's Island decided that, rather than dropping to headway speed to pass among us on his way to the passage between Pig and Locke's Island, he'd stay up on full plane and passed between us all at between 25 and 50 feet.

The sail boat was damn near swamped, one of the bowriders shipped some water over his port side, and the other boat and I laid on our horns as the jerk passed between us. It wasn't until he was actually through the passage between Pig and Locke's that he slowed down...until he passed the buoy to the west end of the passage and got right back up on the throttle.

Talk about friggin' clueless.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote