View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
IF YOUR OIL FURNACE is maybe near it's last legs, research.

I have friends who had a large old sausage-shaped boiler, which had to go. It was one zone for entire house. I can't remember their source of hot water, but may have been electric heater, very inefficient as I recall! They researched and decided on a propane system to heat existing baseboard hot water system. It's in basement and wall mounted direct vent system named Baxi. The installer was able to make several zones without lots of new plumbing. The domestic hot water is on-demand! They had south face on part of roof, and incorporated solar pre-heating of the tap water. In summer they might get all hot water needs, but they realize that it's pre-heating the water before it goes to the on-demand Baxi system...

I think you can search google for Baxi propane. Don't be mislead by quasi "solar installers". I am not a guru, but do research. South to southwest roof slopes are a must, and there is an ideal angle, but I can't tell you.
Oil furnace was new in 2003. Still has many years to go. Thanks for the other info on solar. It would be good to have a system that can integrate into a future solar system.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote