View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I went swimming in the Broads yesterday with my twin 5 year old boys. Ya know what? I used a life jacket. I actually brought my ski vest with me on the boat ride knowing that it was so hot and that I would be jumping in with the kids. The thought of my kids alone in the broads and me drowning.... It would be different if I had other adults with me but I thought it was a good idea while I was alone with the two kiddo's.

This is pretty sad news considering that it was so avoidable. I usually don't even like to swim off my beach at night when I am alone up here.
I would classify myself as an above-average swimmer. When I am drifting on my PWC, I often unbuckle and remove my PFD to get some sun. In the past, I have jumped in the water without it on, but never really felt comfortable doing that in the deeper water. Now I rarely even remove it. If I do, I have recently found myself putting it back on before I jump in the water. I have never had trouble getting myself back on my PWC, but the thought has occurred to me that there could be a time when I am not feeling up to par that I wouldn't be able to get back on. Swimming with PFD for me.