View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It's called burnout

Alton Bay had festivities in August called Old Home Week, and actually ran over two weekends. The Lions, the Alton Volunteer Ambulance Service, and numerous other local groups would have tents set up in the Bay parking lot. I remember a few years with a "block party" uptown in front of the town hall...music, dancing, food. And then there was the Barbershop Quartet gathering every year in Alton that drew Quartets literally from all over the country. (Harmony Park on the east end of Alton Bay next to the town beach is dedicated to that activity and the sponsers. See the attached pictures) There was an awful lot of organization to this event and only a relatively few people who would volunteer to head up the organization and do all the work necessary. As usually happens, burnout results. There may well have been money issues as well, as back in those days (70's & 80's) I was only a visitor here (coming upthesaukee!). the penny sale continued into the 90's but was not necessarily held in conjuction with Old Home Weekend. Of course, another cause is the eventual end for all of us, as death has claimed many of the workers over the years.

Here's some pics from Harmony Park.