Thread: Bike Vendors
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Interesting thread and the roads it has traveled down.

Bike week is planned so far ahead, with known dates, why anyone would complain is a mystery to me. I understand that it has its inconveniences. But so do all activities in the lakes region. I never hear complaints about the craft fairs, or quilt fairs in the area. I mean for gods sake I couldn't even find a place to park when trying to go to Heaths supermarket this weekend. And the Craft Fairs in Meredith always mess up traffic. Sure there are many more Bikers that show up then Quilters, and Craft Fair Junkies. But it is a small price to pay.

If you don't like the atmosphere, that bike week bring, simply plan a vacation if you are a permanent resident. Or don't bother coming up to your second home for a couple of weekends. If you insist on staying put for Bike week. Then Join in, take part in some of the events. No not all events are for everyone, but there are plenty of events going on all over the area, and something is bound to be of interest. You also need to get to know some of the people involved in bike week, talk with Vendors, and visitors. I take my boat over almost every year, and walk around the wiers, talk with vendors admire bikes, talk with people, and quite honestly enjoy it very much. Will I go to ten motorcycle rally's a year. Nope I will not. But when one is in my backyard, yes I will and enjoy it, learn some new things, and meet new people. It is always a good time. And never once, have I felt out of place because I didn't have a bike. In fact coming in buy boat, usually starts a few interesting comments all by itself, as I walk around in shorts and boat shoes.

The bottom line is this, sure bike week brings a few trouble makers to town. But they shouldn't ruin it for all the thousands of good guys and gals that come to the area. I will tell you that most of the rebel outlaw bikers are gone, the more riders you meet these days, are white collar workers, that like to spend their weekends, enjoying the freedom that their bikes provide.... Hum interesting, Boaters enjoy the freedom that their boats provide... Maybe the biking and boating worlds are not so far apart.