Thread: Oil Tank Gauge?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
bigdog

Default Oil Tamk Gauge?

Reporting back to Forum......

Had oil dealer come to property after R.E.Closing. They were able to determine that the tank gauge was probably hitting the side of the tank, that's why it wasn't registering.

Not entirely and easy fix! The tank is enclosed inside a storage hut, just big enough for the tank. No way you could even crawl inside there if you wanted to ! Only access to top of tank is a little removable panel near top/middle of tank. Definitely not the best design. Anyway, oil dealer was not sure he could remove the gauge, because it extends into the tank maybe a couple of feet. He wasn't sure if there was enough room above the tank, to pull up gauge without hitting the top of building structure. Roof ceiling is only about 18" above tank. He thought of leaving current gauge in place, and installing a new gauge, in another currently plugged fitting at other end/top of tank. However, that other tank fitting/opening was so far back, it would be extremely difficult to access through enclosed structure. What a predicament!

Long story, he left as is for now, and will return when weather warms up a little to tackle the problem. For the time being all is OK, and I have a full tank of oil which should carry me for some time. Oil dealer will monitor usage.In the Spring, I'll renovate the tank building with a door for easy access.

On another note, the furnace shut down about 6 times, during the first three days of home ownership ! This was during the coldest snap we had at the end of Jan., like 0-10 degrees. Of course when furnace shut down it was after mid-night each time. Ran fine during the day, go figure! Didn't get much sleep those first few nights... I was however, able to reset/restart the furnace each time, it shutdown. When furnace finally failed to start, I had to call the oil dealer. This was on a Sunday of course ! $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Anyway, oil dealer found the problem, 'bad burner motor', had a high point on wheel or cam, inside motor. I witnessed the issue as burner tech was able to create the problem.

Burner motor was replaced, had a complete furnace/burner tune-up, and everytings seems to be running like a top, at least for now.
Burner tech said the system looked like it hadn't been checked in years.....

Furnace(Weil-McClain)/Burner(Beckett) about 20 yrs old, so it may be on borrowed time ?

BD

Last edited by bigdog; 02-11-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote