View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
annasan

Default Camps Andover & Waldron

Hey - I'm a first-timer, too! I joined this site after a BING search for camp Andover. Maybe I can add to the previous posters history & inquiries. You've already filled in the blanks in a few areas. Like the Boston Missionary Society. During "my" years we'd board a bus across from the State House, on Park St? Near the Parker House? I'm really stretching,now, across 50 yrs of east coast memories. Have lived on west coast since 1974 so all that seems like a dream!
I was 9 or 10 when I started at Camp Andover, coming from Newton MA - the poorer side of Newton! ' cuz I usually got a "campership" tt camp. The average stay was 2 wks & I was awful homesick for 1st year or 2. I hope to scan & post some old pix c.1962-66 if I can dig them out.
And I, too, fondly recall the outdoor chapel; & calling the international staff "Auntie" or "Uncle", and some (maybe CIT's - counselors in training?) were just "cousin". Both camps dined together, did KP together,sang songs, and drank "bug juice". Many of the songs have survived my memory - especially the "Peace I Ask of Thee o River" which was followed by "Abide
With Me" - the last note of the 1st song was the 1st note of the next! And don't forget Kum-by-ah & s'mores!!
We called the bathrooms "Suzies" (for the boys,"John's, of course!) and as little kids, we were told the story of "The Laconia Hound" who would 'get' us if we went outside at nite. Some of us got so scared we'd sooner wet the bed than got to the suzie to pee!!
I've kept my love of all things camp alive by becoming involved in camp as an adult. In '84 I was the Camp Nurse @ a now-90-yr-old Camp Fire camp on Mt Hood, Oregon for the summer. That cemented my desire to continue my education & get my degree as a Registered Nurse. In the 2000's I was an R.N. volunteer for a week here & there as well as an active alumni member.
I'll sign off for now - if there's still an interest, I'll be happy to write more. Maybe even of my mishaps that got me a go-home-early-pass my last year there. I ran away, got as farm as Swain Farm (which I recall as being on the road to camp), spooked by an owl, and in beau-coup trouble with Aunt Sarah!!!
- thanx for listening, er . . . reading!
annasan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annasan For This Useful Post: