View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #46
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
A better poll might be this.

How many people have read the Speed Survey conducted by the MP?

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...rveyreport.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULY 7, 2007 - SEPTEMBER 16, 2007
CONDUCTED BY
DIVISION OF SAFETY SERVICES
MARINE PATROL
STATISTICAL RESULTS OF SAMPLING
There were a total of 36 boats clocked going over 45 miles per hour which represents 0.9% of the total.
One might infer from the below post that Evenstar has not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
There have been plenty of “incidents” in just recent years – that was pretty evident at the House hearing that I attended. The problem is that those in opposition to the bill are saying that we don’t need a speed limit since no one’s been killed on Winni lately.

Well, I’m not willing to wait for a fatality – especially when I could become the fatality. No one officially records close calls, near misses, or fortunate escapes from harm – yet those happen all the time. I have personally had dangerous “incidents” on Winni and I believe a speed limit would have prevented most of those, or at least reduced the danger involved.

Boats on Winni, which were traveling well in excess of 45 mph, have violated my 150 foot zone by a considerate amount . . . in some cases, within 50 feet of me - because the operator was traving too fast.

And this has occurred more than once – sometimes even more than once in a single outing. And many other paddlers on the lake have experienced this as well

The bill is about safety – no matter how you try to spin it. And that’s what the Senators should be looking at. I contend that speeds above the limits in the bill are very unsafe on a busy lake that is populated with small, slow moving boats.

I’ve seen the difference that a speed limit cam make on a large NH lake. Squam is not only a good example – it also shows the NH’s Marine Patrol is perfectly capable of enforcing a speed limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar 04-04-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm just wondering why Lake Winnipesaukee is being singled out for a bill to impose a limit on speed. Why not a state speed limit for all lakes? After all, aren't high speeds likely to be even more dangerous on smaller lakes?

I haven't kayaked on Winni yet, but I have been on other NH lakes enough to comment on high speeds. Yes, I have felt very unsafe at times, wondering if that speeding boat even sees me. In a sit in kayak, you actually sit below the water line and your top speed is maybe 5 MPH.

While kayaking on Squam last summer, my friend and I were both swamped by a speeding boat that passed within 40 feet of us and never even slowed down. So enforcement of current boating regulations seems to be the bigger issue here.