View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 08:00 AM   #82
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,161 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
New development adds roads that need to be plowed and maintained and need more police to patrol. More ambulance calls means more Fire/rescue people and there will be pressure for an added fire house, and more full time staffing. Let's say it costs $100K to hire somebody with training, retirement, health insurance etc, it will take a dozen houses at $8000 tax each to hire that person, And $50K to give him/her a patrol car. Same for a firefighter plus $250K for an ambulance and how much for an added station?
Every time I hear "fallen and needs help" on the scanner, it means an ambulance and an engine both roll as they need four people, and a patrol car goes too. Maybe two if it's a busy area and needs traffic control.
Right, less school burden, but there is not much profit in taking care of old people unless you run a retirement community.
You make good points but the vast majority of the budgets are for the schools and that is something that older people do not use.

I am a senior and pay over $20,000 per year in real estate taxes. Other than snow plowing I use very little of the town services. I have owned the current home for over 20 years have never needed the police or fire department, but it is nice to know they are there.

I spend winters in Florida so there is not much chance I will need those services, or any town services, for 6 months of the year. In my opinion the town is making a profit on me.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: