Thread: Anchor donation
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #22
salty dog

Default Break the bank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I like to look at these anchor claims, as I'm wondering what my 'next' anchor will be.

It seems to me that the lake has a (mostly) mud bottom, with some areas of sand and plenty of rocks.

I currently have a 'plow' type with a chain and rope rode. But it doesn't always hold always as I would like it to. But then again, I haven't lost it yet!

As an example, one day I couldn't get it to hold at all at the sand bar which is just north of the bridge inside of Governer's Island. It could have just been a strange spot, but at an area I thought that should be easy to get a hold, after 5 tries, I left and went somewhere else (there were a lot of boats there that day, and I didn't want play 'set the anchor' anymore with so many boats on the sandbar).

So I did a google search on this 'digger' anchor and found this test where it appears to be mentioned in a 'mud' test:
http://www.creativemarine.com/newpro...nchor_test.htm

The digger seems to not do well on mud bottoms. Also, their website doesn't have much information at all. But it's good to know that you like it and endorse it.
Interesting article. It did seem strange that they couldn't get the Digger to set. Unless I missed it, I didn't see if it was tested more than one time. I also researched the Digger and noticed may positive reviews. On the other end of the scale, I went to the XYZ Marine website just to check the prototype anchor. It performed well in the testing but they sell from $900 to $1100. Yikes! Talk about breaking the bank! I think I'll keep my galvi navy anchor that came with the boat and if I loose that, I'll consider upgrading to the Digger.