View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
I am tire4d of running my boiler all summer just to heat hot water. So I plan to put in an electric system for the season.

There is a fairly new system that uses a heat pump which is on top of the heater to take heat from the room and pump it down into the water tank. You heat the water while air conditioning and de-humidifying the basement! The engineer in me loves the concept.

They are expensive, around $1200 but you can get a rebate (up to $500) from the Co-Op which brings it back into range.

My question is "just how noisy is the compressor"?

I don't want to sink in a pile of money only to find out that I have to turn up the volume on the TV in the living room up stairs.

Any thoughts?

Misty Blue
I would check and see that the heat pump could be disconnected should it fail, so that the unit would be just like any other electric hot water heater... After that if you can get a rebate that brings the unit back in line with a regular electric hot water heater then I say go for it...