Thread: Kimball Castle
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The trust had many chances to save the building, but as Codeman said, the deed is a nightmare. Basically the property was willed to the birds so to speak and the property was originally a wildlife sanctuary.

I've heard around Gilford that the building is no longer structurally sound and need to come down. It is a matter of who is going to pay to do it. More than likely the town of Gilford will be stuck with it.

The town would love to get rid of the property but the deed restrictions need to be revised.
When I looked at it, it was not town owned. It was a private LLC out of Nashua. The town holds a note on it, an agreement that the owner must pay $2-3k (again, going off memory) per year for conservation purposes for a period of 40+/- years. In all, I think it was about $100k.

Structurally sound? Thats an understatement. Every part of it is coming down. The floor is unsafe in a lot of areas, most of the roof is gone, and the second floor is really not accessible (I wouldnt try it). Back when I looked at it, the quote was about $30k to demo it, burying the stone on the property and having the debris hauled.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote