Thread: Route Question
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #23
wtibert

Default Gansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Bill,

The question I have is where in Moultonborough are trying to get to....

All the suggestions are good one, but bring you all the up to Suissevale, Greens Basin etc..... With some more specifics the route could be really tailored for where you need to go.... because Moultonborough has a lot of water front.

Also what day does your rental begin / end on.... because, if you can't get in until Saturday afternoon, my suggestion would be to go get the boat early Sunday Morning, or late Sunday Afternoon, when the lake is calmer and boat traffic is at a minimum....

As with Greene's Basin Girl, I to grew up boating the northern part of the lake... And if timing is right and I am in the area, I wouldn't mind giving you hand getting your boat to your rental destination, and giving you some tips on navigating the area. ( I actually had one such season, with a neighbor's boy friend who just got into boating on the lake last summer)

There are easy ways to go around the Graveyard, which as some others have said, I tend to avoid, and go by pistol, or over by chase.... But over by pistol there is one section where markers mysteriously switch sides, and you have to remain alert or risk getting on the wrong side of one, and in a world of hurt. The switch is on purpose and correctly done, but I have towed in more then one boat from that area.

With all that said how would I go from Meredith to Moutonborough Bay....
1. go down Meredith bay, and scoot under the Govern's Island bridge, yes there is a no wake zone, but it nice to see how the other half lives...

2. Go out and around the witches (which is very well marked) and towards welch

3. Pass between Welch and timber, and Aim for the Sandy / Long Island Passage.

4. After coming out of the passage, navigate to the Hole in the wall, and then head straight out of the hole in the wall towards the Grave Yard.

5. Before reaching the gave yard veer to starboard, and head towards chase..... From here many others have detailed the way up the bay....

Yes this takes you accross the belly of the broads... but I do it all the time in a 18' bow rider... the concern is never the roughness, (unless the wind has kicked up), it about picking up the markers where I am going.

You will find that during the week on the northern part of the lake, boat traffic is almost not existent even during the heavy vacation period of July and August.
Thanks for the input. We'll be over on Castle Shore Road near Gansy Island.

I appreciate all the inputs. I would likely be bringing it up from Meredith (Depending on conditions and weather) Saturday late afternoon. I understand that traffic etc can get crazy that time. With all the options provided I think I can find a way there as long as it isn't rainy/windy/stormy. I'm not in a rush to get there quickly and wouldn't mind a 60-90 minute ride if need be.

To all- thank you for the inputs. I now have a variety of choices and options to choose from and evaluate prior to the end of July.

See you on the water.
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote