View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #19
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I look at it this way. This problem isn't going to solve itself, and having read a little bit about the treatment used, it's specifically targeting the milfoil plant. To do nothing to control it's growth and spread will do significant damage to the lake and it's native species of plants and fish. Now the chemical treatment may have some side affects as well, but the treatments have been pretty well studied and I think that if used prudently any side affects will be minimized. I'd much rather see it controlled than not, and I have to believe that the NH DES has done extensive study and research that indicates it's occasional use where infestations are present is the best option at this time. While it may seem awful to dump a chemical into the water to kill this stuff, it may not be as bad as you think. Better yet - think of it this way, there are side affects to taking say Advil for a little pain relief. Does that stop you if you really need it?
Well, Advil is not a substance created to eradicate a living organism so I don't think thats a fair connection to draw. Orange juice, although I enjoy it, causes discomfort because I have acid reflex.. but those side effects can't be compared to herbicide either. Can you name what chemical your specifically speaking of?.. I've seen multiple chemicals used in different situations and all seem to have their detrimental side effects. I didn't suggest that we do nothing, I think it needs to be removed by hand. Chemicals didn't bring the Milfoil to the lake, It was humans who brought it to the lake and it needs to be humans who remove it from the lake. This long term investment may take time and be expensive but recklessly killing vegitation and poisoning the food chain at its lowest level could prove to be much more costly in the long run. The Lakeport Dam was built 69 years ago, since then we've put a man on the moon and learned how to harness power from the sun.. I'm sure we could find a way to remove vegetation from a lake.