View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #17
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
"Moultonborough allocates about $200,000 per year for removal."
200,000 a year equates to roughly $49.45 a citizen. I find that fascinating. It's not a Moultonborough problem, It's a threat to every property and business owner on the lake. I'm struggling to find a government estimate on how much Milfoil there is in the lake and what the rate of growth is estimated to be in the coming years.. perhaps someone could point me towards that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
There is a lot of concern about the impact of the milfoil chemical treatment, but not all is warranted. Chemicals are not used during the spawning period of the protected bridal shiner, because it kills the weeds that are used to hide the nests from predators. Impact on white perch would be news to me, but perhaps a similar scenario applies.
I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. The unknowns of the chemical composition and long term effects it has on the wildlife is enough to warrant a multitude of concern. This chemical mixture is not a free thinking substance that only targets Milfoil, it effects all vegetation in its path. This effected vegetation then gets consumed by low level organisms and travels up the food chain.. eventually bioaccumulating through each level until it reaches top predators around the lake (Eagles, Bear, Fisher cats, etc.). There is good reason drinking water can not be consumed up to two weeks after bodies of freshwater have received chemical treatment in the fight against Milfoil.. That water contains abnormal levels of a strong toxin detrimental to human health. Historically, chemicals have only been used to target a concentrated population of Milfoil inhabiting a cove.. It is not a viable option of control once the vegetation has spread.

I believe an in-depth government assessment is past due.. unless one already exist.