View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
What that is Dan is what my sisters are doing at a little lake (Baboosic) in S NH.They are carefully pulling each plant by hand.They have areas that are monitored on a regular basis and painstackingly "weeded".Lots of hands on work.We'll see how effective this is.
Although what Your sisters are doing on Baboosic is admirable and effective, I can't imagine this method being practical on Winni. I did a quick rough calculation... (I'm no accountant so If I embarrassed myself here I'll play it off like an April fools joke )

... Baboosic is 4 miles around, Winni is 180. If Your 2 sisters are working alone, you would need 90 workers to cover the same distance on Winni. This would require boats, scuba gear, insurance.. the whole 9. If these 90 workers made the average NH salary this would amount to $5.1 Million combined a year.. Not factoring in equipment, Insurance, and what I'm sure is an incredibly expensive disposal operation.

I think the most practical solution is to stop the entry of Invasive species by having mandatory inspections before placing a craft in the water. I know this isn't the most desirable Idea, but if it can prolong the life of the lake its worth it. Once the bleeding is cut off we can switch the focus to removing these invasive's.
JakeLake is offline   Reply With Quote