View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 01:50 PM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
This could be a matter of ignorance, arrogance, indifference, or all three. I was curious as to how long adding or unloading ballast water might typically take, so I did a bit of googling. Here is but one reference of the subject: https://wayneswords.net/threads/surf...en.8314/page-4. The impact of these boats on shorelines and enjoyment of the lake by others is not just on Winnipesaukee.

There can be built-in tanks, filled and emptied by pump, and hard ballast bags (eg. bag filled with steel shot). Many boats apparently are simply built to be heavy and carry a full complement of people and gear. The weight and shape of many of these make a big wake even without filling their ballast tanks. As to fill or drain time, the numbers I saw in my brief search are on the order of 4-10 minutes each way. I can imagine that adding 20 minutes of "down time" to an outing would be too much for the patience of some of these operators.
My boat has 3 tanks and takes 6-7 minutes to fill. I start it when leaving the dock (at idle) and by the time I motor out into the open it is done. Same process to empty. We only run ballasted out in the broads.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post: