View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Why did you feel the need to go so strong on the base. Can't the frame just sit on the ground maybe spiked in (heavy) so it does get blown. I mean it looks very well done but 8 concrete piers and 12 yds of gravel seems a bit much
I admit, it does seem like overkill and certainly is for this shelter...But...
I put the concrete piers and pressure treated sills in with the idea that if this shelter doesn't make it through the winter if a bad storm hits (ice storm/blizzard etc) then I could remove the bent up frame and build a more suitable carport over the current foundation. It would be nearly impossible for me to dig holes for Sonotubes in the winter time with the ground frozen, so this was sort of a "just in case" thing.

Regarding the stone, I needed to bring the grade up about 6" because he would get standing water there in mild weather and then it would freeze into ice when it gets cold. I needed 7 to 8 yards to do this. The truck that delivered the stone held 12 yards, and delivery cost the same weather it was partially full or completely full. I figured i may as well get the 12 yards as I knew I could use the extra around other buildings like his shed or barn. Well after spreading the stone I realized I may as well just use it all and it worked out well.

The base is overkill I know, and if it were me up there cleaning my car off in the winter I wouldn't even worry about a garage or carport, but since it's my grandfather, I want to make sure it lasts, and the most common problem with these failing is insufficient bases.

If a couple days of my labor and several hundred dollars or more in materials saves my 95 year old grandfather from slipping on the ice and breaking his hip, or have a heart attack from shoveling off his car (that angina isn't good for you) then it's well worth it to me....even if it is "a bit much"
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote