View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 10:50 AM   #24
Belmont Resident

Default Re: Boating at night

All of your statements are factors to consider.
But even with all the care in the world some things are unavoidable unless you stay at home.
I for one totally enjoy boating at night and do so with caution. There is nothing better than being out floating around in a secluded cove with your significant other.
I disagree with one of your statements concerning the bow light. Number 2 I believe. We followed a boat back to the Weirs channel one night, they had an electrical problem which took out their stern light. Unless you knew there was a boat there you never would have seen them. Bow lights cannot be seen from the stern of the boat unless they are mounted on each side of the boat as some are.
I personally am taking the precaution of mounting a second stern light just above my swim platform.
I have noticed that this location is much more visible than lights mounted higher up plus it will act as a backup should something happen to my stern light.
Accident's are going to happen, that is why we have insurance. But if one does happen and the driver has done everything correctly then he/she can rest assured they were not at fault.
Life is to short to stay at home because you might get hurt or hit a stick in the water. You take the same risk each time you climb on a snowmobile, ATV, mountain bike or strap on your ski's.