View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #21
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
One more thing about the noise. I guess a lot of one's perception has to do with where you reside. For example, if you live on the east side of Rattlesnake Is. then the traffic is less likely to be hugging the shore and the noise issue will be less of a problem. If you live near the entrance to Winter Harbor then it will be a different story. I would be impressed if SBONH were to embrace tougher noise standards (lower decibel limits) with tougher fines for violators. Yes, the safety inspections and all is a good start but what will really win over the skeptics from the other side, as per my initial post on this thread, will be a committment to making the performance boats less intrusive to people who come to the lake for a more tranquil experience. And yes, one could argue that if the noise bothers you than you should move to a quieter lake yet many were here before noise was this big a problem. It's unlikely that I'll move away from family and long time friends...most people will fight to preserve what is important to them rather than throwing in the towel and running away. SOTD
Sunset, As Vitabene stated SBONH is a group developed and continuing to try to promote safety and boating education. We support current laws and what the dept. of safety recommends.

However, perhaps LIFORELAXING will chime in. In a different thread he actually looked up the data regarding OSHA regulations and how the decible limits were choosen. This was a very good post and provided substance and reasonings behind the current standards. I will not speak for SBONH, however I do not believe they need to lower the decible level per the facts liforelaxin had posted, but I do believe there should be stricter enforcement and higher fines.

The issue is the MP's budget was slashed and they have to do what they can to make the lake safer. Passing further laws won't help for they need a bigger budget to enforce all the current laws.

I think your efforts should be focused there. Work hard with the legislature to return the $700K from the "dedecated fund" LOL that was built by boat registrations then stolen and put into the "general fund". While actions like this continue to happen no matter what laws are passed, there won't be enough resources there to enforce them.