View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down Not a wise option.

I’ve been boating on Winni for better then 15 years and have graduated up from a 17ft runabout to a 25 Baja and 26.5 Chaparral. I can tell you that boating at night under good conditions can be risky. Taking a low profile craft like a jetski, 3 person or not, out on the lake at night would be pushing ones luck.
You have a wide variety of boats out at night and the bigger ones throw up huge wakes which during the day can be seen and you can set yourself up for it. But at night you are running blind. I’ve run all over this lake at night and hit some waves in my boat that left me wondering where the hell it came from. You hit that on a small boat and get tossed out and, well a lot can happen and not all good.
You could be planning on just a short ride staying close to the shore but if you planed on going across any large area IMHO your not taking safety seriously.
I believe there is a reason the boating industry elected not to install running lights on this type of water craft.
Good luck if you choose to take this route, I hope we don't read about a tragic outcome in the papers.