View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 03:15 AM   #17
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy_64
"...Note: If your Cobalt fills with water, it may sink fast just like this one did. As the skipper's daughter said....just like the Titanic...On positive buoyancy.....Government regulations and Cobalt only provide positive buoyancy up to 21 feet. (So says Thurston's staff when we asked them at the urging of Marine Patrol)..."
The "Extreme Boat" websites all urge that Internet disclosures of boating incidents—such as yours—shouldn't be made. Websites are checked by insurance company lawyers for consistency in witness' testimony.

It's good advice, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee
"...APS, were you out sailing on Saturday? Perhaps you would know what the conditions were like...?"
The wind was too blustery to risk a capsize on a weekend.

I watched cruising sailboats twice my boat's size turn around and go home. My good buddy across the harbor sailed up to my dock—didn't attempt to stop—and scooted back home in his oceanworthy ~24-foot Cape Dory Typhoon.

Like most lakes, the winds were just too inconsistent: as CLA states, topography rules on lakes.

Sometimes I miss the smooth consistency of ocean breezes, but at least lakeside, I can "pick my days" for an enjoyable sailing day.