View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #54
trfour

Post A Two Part Reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
If you read the posts, the CAT engines will use just as must fuel as the old engines. They have to power the same weight and the catalysts are not fuel efficient.

As for the Enterprise engines. Yes they can run forever. Parts are still available. If not a local machine shop can make the parts..

Hi BH,

I won't bore you by going into the specifics, however let me say this about the New engines as follows.

#1. Just having the two turbo chargers each- ( = four ) , they greatly increase fuel efficiency Burn in the combustion chamber, using less fuel by forcing more air into the mix allowing a much cleaner burn with less emissions.
Having an external catalytic exhaust system, filters out more of any pollutants that were not burned in the above process.

#2. It is Not At All Surprising To Me, that the New Cat Engines will use about the same aMOUNT of fuel as the old Enterprise engines did.
Now, at the same time one must remember that the Cats have four more hungry cylinders to feed fuel to ( = eight more cylinders twixt )

#3. Please listen closely and in his own words to Jim Morash The Captain and General Manager of The Mount Washington Cruises, in this video about the parts issue. http://multimedia.boston.com/m/25325...ly+Friendly%22

In closing, may I also say, about the old engines...
Diesel engines have no spark plugs, and rely on a tremendous amount of compression to ignite the fuel... It is not out of the realm of goings on, that a cylinder head can crack beyond repair...
Just as a for instance, imagine having one of these made at your local machine shop and having to pay their shop rate or overhead for them to make you a new one...
And consider the down time!
I think Not...

Regards

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote