View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Please read the following thread to find all the good information on sound limits and there basis on Lake Winnipesaukee.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ght=OSHA+sound

I spent a lot of time researching the information in that thread. All of which pointed to one simple fact. The Noise limits are based on good hard facts. No one can convince me other wise. The only part of the Noise control law for boats I don't agree with is the non allowance of switchable exhaust. But that is a tail for another day. The Sound decibel levels are right where they should be. All the information I found is freely available on the web.

Now what people need to remember and often forget is sound resonates over water, and travels unimpeded.... until something absorbs it. That is why a loons cry can be heard way of in the distance, or a boat even with through hub exhaust can be heard coming across the lake...

NWZ aren't going to solve anything, as Hazelnut points out, boats speed up after them, that is when they produce the most noise.... Tighter noise laws aren't going to do anything either..... I can play my radio at a fairly normal level, take the boat out across the lake and hear it on the other side....

My suggestion to people that want quite by the water... plant some shrubs, do somethings along the water edge that help absorb the sound... that is how you will quite things down.... If you clear all the trees, and shubs and put a deck right up to the waters edge, you of course are going to here the sound, you have left nothing in the way to absorb it.