View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #32
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I think the intent is to never pay it back, thus why it seems to be marketed to retired folk and the elderly. The banks gives you small loan payments (in reverse) instead of one large lump sum home equity loan. Then they own the house and could make a killing when they sell it after your death. If you want to leave it to a relative, they will have to pay off the mortgage or refiance. I'm a huge Dave Ramsey fan and he clearly explains why they are such a bad deal.

Banks didn't come up with this scheme to help YOU.
ramsey is far from the be all when it comes to this stuff. he's rather have you in no debt eating nothing but ramen noodles while your free and clear owned homes sitting there just so you cna say you have no mortgage.

Reverse can be a good thing, no payments made, house is sold after you dies with the payoff being the principal plus interest, you cna never owne more than it sells for and if it sells for 10x what you borrowed you cna get some proceeds from it.

Biggest opposer of a reverse mortgage is the kid who are mad they will get no inheritance yet don't want to pay for the parents expenses while they are alive.

My parents bought there retirement home with a reverse, they owe me nothing when they die IMO so having no first mortgage payment or home equity payment is just perfect for them. gives them another $1000/mo to spend having a good time.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote