View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #54
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
DaveR

Even if you are the "stand on" vessel it is not just a good idea, it's the law that you take action to avoid a collision.

This is spelled out in NH rule 270-D:2(V).

If you were on that nasty water on the ocean the same applies per Colregs Rule # 17 (B).

Here's a hint... When you are the give way vessel when it is safe to do so (all clear) it is better to change course than change speed. A change of course is easier to see from the stand on vessel than a change in speed. A turn of more than 30 degrees is good. It's kind of like when you are at an intersection and make eye contact with the other driver.

Misty Blue
I am aware of the requirement for the stand on vessel to maintain speed and heading if possible, and also to avoid a collision. I just wanted to put it as simply as possible.

I almost always change course rather than speed. I make it a point to head directly toward the stand-on boat when I change course, and then hold that heading for a few seconds until I'm headed well behind the stand on vessel. This makes the change quite obvious. I get a lot of friendly waves, so I'm pretty sure it works.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote