Thread: Deer
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander02138 View Post
My first deer hunt starts Nov 3rd. It's something I've always wanted to do. Growing up we only shot targets, but I always photographed wildlife. Now however I've traded in my camera for a shotgun and a muzzleloader. So if any of you know where the deer or bears are getting too close for comfort I would appreciate all the help I can get. I had a health scare this year and realized its now or never. Thanks....

Being successful hunting around NH is extremely difficult. I can say for myself I have been very fortunate to have been able to take a deer nearly every year, but much work is put into knowing where to go and how to get them. Everyone has their own methods, but I'll share a few of mine for what they are worth.

Randomly picking a spot to hunt never has brought me success. I found that once I started to really study different areas I could narrow down which ones would be more productive based on the topography and habitat.

Once I had a few places narrowed down, scouting is the next piece of the puzzle. Yeah you may find deer sign, but it's really more important to find out where the deer are usually travelling and at what times of the day. Once you pick up on their patterns and likely travel routes can you then pick a good spot to setup an ambush for them.

I find hunting from a stand to be most effective. Walking around pushing deer works I suppose, but then you are forced to take a rushed shot increasing the chances of either missing, or wounding a deer which may not be fatal. If you are in good cover, or in a tree stand you won't have that problem.

Forget about hunting with a shotgun! You're hard pressed to drop a deer with one. You can use a muzzle loader anywhere a shotgun is required and a muzzleloader, especially a modern inline (such as the one I use seen in the pic posted) are far more accurate and deadly. For what it's worth, that muzzle loader I have is a Ruger 77/50 with a fixed 4X scope on top capable of hitting a 6" grouping at 100 yards with a 250 grain sabot and a 209 primer conversion. Shot guns are good for maybe 50 yards at best and don't have very good ballistics even with a rifled barrel.

Finally only take a shot if you know you have a good look at the money spot, direct hit to the vitals or shot to the neck (preferred as the deer will drop DOA with a direct hit to the neck) Nothing is more disturbing to be out in the woods and hear bang... bang... bang, bang.... bang... bang, bang! I mean seriously? All my deer, one shot did the trick. I have passed on a number of opportunities cause I just could not get the right sight picture.

Oh yeah don't forget to wear plenty of orange! Good grief I still can't believe how many don't and that's just plain dangerous! Good luck - I hope you get one, this year the population is way up so you should have pretty good luck.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote