View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
Mike M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
So, unfortunately, threads like this thread will become increasing common in the future as energy costs continue to rise relative to other costs/inflationary pressures. The best things we can do are A) Reduce overpopulation - put in effect policies that reward a stable population, and penalize population growth; B) Reduce energy usage per capita (which will be happening whether we want it or not, just preparing for it is better that finding ourselves at the cliffs edge); and C) Transitioning to renewable energy - which can be done today - electric or natural gas cars, solar electric and solar hot water homes (mine is totally off grid solar heated by solar hot water and wood), etc.
Your statement about overpopulation (multiple times actually) is offensive.

In other words you want to create laws (enforced by government) that would burden families with financial penalties who exceeded the acceptable number of children chosen by the government? I realize your intentions are good but your research about economics, philosophy, politics seems to be heavily weighed in favor of ideas that are completely opposing to the ideas that made this country and state great.

A)
The overpopulation you speak of wouldn’t be a problem if we removed the incentives to have children. We don’t need to stop people from having children using tyrannical laws; we need to remove safety nets that prevent people from being forced to live within their means. People need to once again have personal responsibility not new laws.

B)
Yes, we will be forced to reduce our energy consumption because of the outrageous fiscal policies of the government and the federal reserve. Using the most energy in the world doesn’t make us bad and we shouldn’t feel bad for it. Our investment in energy has benefited poorer countries with access to improving technology and cheaper energy.

C)
People don’t transition to something unless it’s a better/cheaper alternative to what they currently use.

I’m sure any boat owners, mechanics, even some environmentalist on this forum would agree that the push for putting ethanol into the fuel supply by the government caused a lot of unintended consequences and was counterproductive to its goal. Since you suggested using the government to enforce a limit on children I assume you would also support them forcing us to use ‘green’ technology even though it is still more expensive in most instances.

When green technology advances and the price drops enough or the price of other energy sources goes up enough because of actual supply shortages making the cost of green energy competitive people will do what makes financial sense for them and their families.

Your house sounds awesome; did you do anything specific to prevent heat loss with insulation and sealing? Passive homes will eventually be the norm for economic reasons especially in our area.
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote