View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #54
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I think you can see this topic pretty evenly split between those who own lake front property and those who do not. As a "trailer boater", I see many lakes in NH where the owers associations have taken significant steps to limit access to the water body they live on despite the State assuring us that these are public resources.

As long as we continue to view Winni as a public resource, it should be completely open for all legal public uses as long as safety and ordinances are adhered to. MP should police this with that in mind... The view from my side of the subject is "if you build on a lake, you should expect John Q public in your front yard (off your shoreline). If John Q is disturbing the peace, littering or breaking other laws, MP should deal with that just as they would if someone was breaking a law on the street in front of your house. It's amazing how diffucult it is for non-shorefront owners to get our families swimming on public waters in this state unless we anchor off shore (not a great option for young families). Each shore front owner should remember that this is not "your lake" it's the State's lake and you own to the shoreline and nothing more. The fish under your dock are not your fish and the water between your dock and your raft is not your water.

I think things are already restrictive enough on NHs public waters without yet another law restricting use of this resource that targets "non-lakefront owners". I think this is a healthy topic and agree that if I owned property on the lake, I wouldn't be excited about 20 boats floating off my beach but as long as they are not disturbing the peace, climbing up on my beach or breaking other laws, I would respect their rights and understand that this is part of what I purchased (if I bought land at the end of an airport, I would expect noisy planes flying over).
Hi Mike
WHile I fully agree with you about the lake status, some restraint should be practiced and maybe even inforced with regards to anchoring up right in front of someone's property instead of being right up on them, but that is just me, as for rafting see no reason why it has to be banned, I do not like to raft myself just because of the amount of free board I have on my boat does not really allow for it, but I would not mind doing it with friends in sand bar areas or the like if we could match up without hurting each other's boat. One reason being is that there are public/town beaches available for those that do not have lakefront property so it is open to everyone

I dunno maybe a 150foot buffer or something when it is private lake front property or something, I do not have the answer, but as far as rafting these is no reason for it not to happen if people wish to do it