View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #110
Belmont Resident

Default All seasonal jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
I agree with the condos changing the biz model, and I agree a new line of thinking is required and it needs to be radical, but it is easy to say and another thing to get an investor to do, with the current dynamic.
Another example is where the rotary is being built, (I am going to pick on this property for a second but it applies to all) there is the vacant parking lot that has been sitting there forever, the owner has no urgency to invest or sell the property since he makes money from bike week. No bike week... he would have sold to someone who is willing to invest in the property in some fashion that makes money year round or at least all summer, this creates local jobs, increases the population, and in-turn further drives jobs creation. All while creating a valuable tax base for laconia rather than a vacant lot, this added tax base they could use to fix the current laconia school problem, again helping draw in full time residence, etc, etc. I disagree with anything that promotes land owners to not invest in their property (leave it a parking lot) so they can make money.
So it is great to say all these things about changing the rules etc, but if the current land owners have no reason to change they won't.

Sorry if make no sense I am much more articulate in person.
Unfortunately until NH figures out how to attract businesses nothing will change.
You can tear down the ugly rebuild the ugly and attract all the tourism you want.
But all tourism creates is seasonal jobs, not the type of atmosphere to attract or support families.