View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
ursa minor

I thought I'd share our somewhat similar experience for information, obviously others may have a different take on this:

We currently have a 2006 Ford Explorer V6 4X4 that is rated by Ford at 5,000 lbs towing capacity. I upgraded to a 2" drawbar style hitch as the factory mounted hitch uses the smaller 1" style drawbar. We have 22 foot cuddy cabin with a sterndrive; the weight with engine and some fuel is about 4,200 lbs. We also tow seasonally (Spring and Fall) between the Lake and Massachusetts, about 150 miles one way. When towing, we try to avoid the heavier traffic times (leave early) and I generally tow between 55 and 60 mph on the highway. With overdrive locked out, the engine stays right in the middle of it's torque band at these speeds and will generally stay in 4th gear unless climbing a long grade. Also, with the 4X4, pulling the boat out even on dirt ramps has not been a problem.

What I want to emphasize is the importance of good trailer brakes. We have tandem axle trailer that uses so called "surge" brakes on the front trailer axle. The trailer coupler has a hinged connection and a hydraulic master cylinder. When the truck brakes are applied, the trailer "pushes" forward. As this happens, the master cylinder pistion compresses and starts to apply the trailer brakes. I've found that once you feel the trailer "push", keeping light but steady pressure on the tow vehicle brakes will allow the trailer brakes to do most of the stopping. We've had one panic stop situation on a side road where someone cut us off and were able to stop without incident. Because they don't get used a lot and then get dunked when they are being used, there's more maintenance required for the trailer brakes than on the truck. I usually check and repack the wheel bearings once a year and go over the brake components at that time to be on the safe side.

We've been doing this now for many seasons and this is the third Explorer we've had; no issues with any of them. When not towing, we average 23 mpg on the highway. When towing it seems to be more like 13. Again, this is a seasonal thing for us. If I were towing every weekend a larger truck / SUV might be a consideration but for seasonal towing, the better overall fuel economy and size of the Explorer has been a better fit for us. Boat and vehicle manufacturer's web sites will generally have the weights and towing capacities listed. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by ursa minor; 01-14-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
ursa minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links