View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

It is pretty amazing that with all the technology available today and promises of better and more accurate weather predictions, doesn't seem like forecasts are a whole lot better. Granted it's certainly helped in gathering data and observing with greater detail what is happening, but it seems like the modeling technology is nothing more than a computerized way of guessing what may happen. Is it any better than humans? Doesn't really seem so.

As an avid hunter I pay very close to what I see as I scout my favorite deer producing honey holes. This year it seems that the amount of available natural forage is down considerably this year over years past. For example last year there were a ton of acorns everywhere, this year they are not nearly as plentiful. What does that mean? Not much, other than it's often said that a lack of acorns indicates a tough winter ahead. Accurate assessment of the coming winter? Beats me, but certainly noteworthy. Only thing I hope to happen is that we don't have a mid winter warm up and torrential rains like last year. It really screwed up the snowmobile season!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote