View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I have friends who come up for bike week every year and have been for the last 35 or so years.

One friend summed it up nicely I think. He pointed out the massive police presence in the past 10 or so years and the implication to a kid who comes up here to enjoy the rally.

Kid comes up, gets nabbed in one of the many speed traps, other observation points, is issued a $100 + ticket, plus the associated insurance premium hike. Pretty devastating to a 20 something just starting out and not worth the risk. This kid tells all his friends, word gets around and they avoid the rally like the plague. This is pretty apparent as you walk around the Weirs and the median age is 50+.

Now some are going say obey the law and you won't have problem, and that's true, but intimidate your customers and they will stay away.
NH State Police had a car stationed across from Cumberland Farms. He was writing tickets left and right. After he issued a ticket he would turn to the traffic, which was at a dead stop, and point (like a tough guy) at a bike or two to pull next to him. I saw tickets for handle bar and other petty equipment violations. He wrote people up for shutting off their bike while sitting in dead stop traffic (Harley's are air cooled and it's not uncommon to shut a bike down in extreme heat while sitting in traffic). This happened on multiple days. Ridiculous and counterproductive.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post: